Log in

No account? Create an account
Oct. 4th, 2004 @ 04:51 pm What's that thing called?
Current Mood: curiouscurious
I was in a news group discussion recently and someone wanted to know what something was called, which brought in a lot of different answers, so I thought I'd post here and see what you folks call it.

When a sidewalk has a grassy area between it and the street, what is the grassy area called?

If you reply, please consider including where you learned that term (most likely where you grew up).

If I get any interesting results I'll post a summation.

(Oh if you don't want to post publically, you can email me at ferragus at sff dot net)

About this Entry
AZ Burrowing Owl
Date:October 4th, 2004 04:04 pm (UTC)
(Permanent Link)
"verge" comes to mind. I'm not sure if that's the best word.
[User Picture Icon]
Date:October 4th, 2004 04:27 pm (UTC)
(Permanent Link)
I always thought it was "that grass between the sidewalk and the street", myself!
[User Picture Icon]
Date:October 5th, 2004 03:59 am (UTC)
(Permanent Link)
Nature strip?
[User Picture Icon]
Date:October 5th, 2004 05:19 am (UTC)
(Permanent Link)
Someone else from Down Under called it that, interesting and I'll be that's not what most 'merikan's would think of when faced with that phrase ;)

Thanks all!
[User Picture Icon]
Date:October 5th, 2004 10:26 am (UTC)
(Permanent Link)
I was taught that it was a boulevard. I grew up in MN, but my mom grew up primarily in the southern US.
Date:October 7th, 2004 02:12 pm (UTC)

What's that thing called?

(Permanent Link)
Where I grew up that grassy strip was called the neutral ground. Technically, that small strip of property was "owned" by the city, but the homeowner, whose property it fronted was responsible for the upkeep on it. The idea being (in Louisiana) that if the city ever needed to widen the street for whatever reason, they would not have to purchase individual strips of property from each homeowner on the block.

BTW, Happy (very) belated Birthday

Leslie T